Sunday, October 4, 2009

There Is No Me Without You

I read a lot of trivial stuff. You know, the type books that aren't "important" for any other reason than to escape. Be married to a pastor for about 5 years and you'll see that escapism is vital to mental health at times! If you throw in a hefty dose of illness/nursing homes/hospitals/death/grief plus a frail father you'll understand.

But, for some reason, the Father above Who loves me deeply, keeps impressing really hard books on me right now. I never doubt when the Spirit moves. I wonder sometimes, but never doubt. So, I obey. Over the past 6 months I've read 2 or 3 trivial books, but for the most part the choices (and yes, it does end up being my choice) end up being books dealing with the poor. The hungry. The orphans. The sick.

There Is No Me Without You is a book a dear friend placed in my hands a couple of weeks ago. If I remember correctly she said something like, "It's a long read with pages you'll probably want to skim, but I think you need this right now." It's about a thousand pages long with small typeface. I smiled and thought silently, "ugh!" only because I have the attention span of a 7 yr old. I didn't pick it up outside of glancing through it until four days ago. In spite of the tiny font and multitude of pages I'm about half way through. It is compelling and it is horrendous. It is much like the life of Jesus both scandalous and beautiful. To you who don't know Jesus, that statement will either give you "argument" to rant or make no sense at all. But, it really does describe a life given over fully for others.

If Matthew 25:40 tugs at your heart at all...if you read it and let the words sink in - then this book may be one you'll want to add to your reading list. It's the true story of one woman who decided to answer a need placed before her for "the least." And I believe thus far in the book, she answered without even understanding at all any sort of "calling" from the God we in the western culture feel we know so well. She lived out the red letters of Christ.

If you decide to read it, or have read it, let me know your thoughts. It's an important read with an urgent message.

No comments: