Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Poverty Tourism

I want to fill a rental van marked “Tourist” with unbelievably rich people and then I want to bring them to your middle-class neighborhood to take pictures of you and your kids and your house and your cars.

I’ll act as the unofficial tour guide to their trip, walking them slowly down the street, pointing out the shocking differences between their lifestyle and yours. “This man,” I will say with a gesture of my upturned palm, “cuts his own lawn.”

“These kids share a bedroom.”

“Many of these families require two incomes… just to survive.”

Are short-term missions teams sent to impoverished communities helpful...? or harmful...? or maybe neither...? Whadayathink?
Read one woman's thoughts (or beginning thoughts) here.

1 comment:

MYstory of HIStory said...

Ahh...this is timely for sure/for me! My husband & I had a conversation along these lines recently. No short answer here but the tho'ts it provoked are swirling toward a similar (lack of) conclusion.